New Book Sets for Guided Reading Groups:
Leveled Reader has new leveled books sets for reading groups. Your favorite leveled readers now come in sets of 6 of one title. They’re perfect for use with reading groups.
Teaching Guided Reading groups with emergent readers who are at the beginning stages, has its own particular challenges. There are many important skills that these pre-readers can learn from a Guided Reading lesson. The first step is to find books that are predictable and repetitive, with illustrations that closely follow the text. This is the easy part because Leveled Reader has you covered with leveled book sets for reading groups.
You are looking for your beginning readers to exhibit the behaviors of reading, even though they may not yet actually be reading. Books that work well are those that are simple enough that children can listen to them, and then “read” them themselves. In this way, they are learning how print works as they read a book they’ve memorized. Repetition is valuable, as it helps young readers develop memory, and helps them learn to predict events in a story.
Here are some books to begin with for successful reading groups with beginning readers:
- Big Brown Bear, level A-B, is the simplest of stories told in rhyme. David McPhail’s endearing illustrations enrich the story and engage the reader.
- Ducks Go Vroom, level A-B, contains lots of fun noisy and rhyming words. With bold, engaging illustrations that tell the delightful story of the ducks’ visit.
- Chicks!, level C-D, tells the story of a family who brings home some chicks, with a short sentence per page and illustrations that match the text perfectly.
- Monkey Play, level C-D, is a book with simple rhyming text, written by one of our favorite authors, Alyssa Satin Capucilli.
- Muddy, Mud, Bud, level C-D, has lots of rhyme and repetition with lively illustrations. Kids love to see Bud, the car, get really dirty, then clean, then muddy up again!
- A Butterfly Grows, level E-F, is a nonfiction title about the transition from caterpillar to butterfly. It’s filled with stunning photos, and includes discussion questions and writing prompts.
- Inch and Roly Make a Wish, level E-F, is a popular story about Inchworm and Roly Poly and their friends Dragonfly and Beetle. This one will have your students asking for more adventures with Inch and Roly!
Leveled Reader wants to help you liven up your reading groups with these new book sets for Guided Reading groups.